Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get a library card?
How many items can I check out?
How much are the fines?
What happens if my fines exceed $35?
How much is the maximum fine for each item?
How long can item be borrowed?
How do I renew my items?
Where can I return my items?
What happens if an item is lost or damaged?
Can I purchase a replacement for a lost or damaged item?
What happens if an item that I returned is still showing up on my account?
What if I lose my card?
Am I notified if I have an overdue item?
How do I place a hold?
How does email notification work?
- Adults: You must come in to the library with picture ID and proof of current address.
- Children (Birth - Grade 6): A child may get his or her first card when the parent thinks the child is ready. The parent or legal guardian must fill out a short application available at the circulation desk. Both the child and parent or legal guardian must be present to receive the card and to update the card.
- Teens (Grades 7 - 12): Please bring school picture ID and proof of address, i.e. school schedule or report card. You may also come in with a parent, and we can use their license as address proof.
Cards are updated annually. You must have your card with you to update your card for another year, and all fines must be paid. If your address has changed, you will be asked to present proof of new address.
Only Monroe County residents are eligible for a library card. If you live out of the county but own property in Monroe County, you are eligible for a card upon presentation of a current Monroe County property tax bill. All other out of county residents may obtain a card at a cost of $45 per year.
There is no limit on the number of library materials you can check out, except for the following items:
- Video Games: 5 per card
- Express Books: 2 per card
- Quick Flicks: 2 per card
All fines are $.50 per day with the exception of Express Books and Quick Flicks which are $1.00 per day.
Patrons must be sure their accounts are kept current, as any account over $35 will automatically be sent to UMS, a Collection Service used by all Monroe County Libraries. These accounts are sent within 14 days of the overdue fines hitting the account. If this happens, a $20 charge is added to your account to cover the cost of this service. If fines are paid withing 10 days from the date of the letter, we will waive the $20 fee. This letter is the first notification (other than your overdue notice) that you will receive, so please pay fines in a timely manner.
- Adult Material, Games, and DVDs (adult and children's): $7 maximum fine
- Teen Material: $5 maximum fine
- Children’s Material: $3 maximum fine
- Periodicals: $5 maximum fine
- Express Books & Quick Flicks: $12 maximum fine
- Library Bags: $3 maximum fine
Fines should be paid in a timely manner. You may pay with a credit or debit card over the phone by calling (585) 872-7075 and speaking with a circulation desk staff member, or by logging on to your online account.
- Books, Books on CD, Playaways, Music CDs, & CD-ROMs: 3 weeks
- DVDs, VHS, PS2 Games, Wii Games, and Express Books: 1 week
- Quick Flicks: 2 days
You can renew items in person, on our web site under "Check My Account", by calling (585) 872-7075 to speak with a Webster Library staff member, or by calling our 24-hour automated phone line at (585) 428-8484 and selecting option 2.
- Most items are renewable. Exceptions are: new books on CD, Express Books, and Quick Flicks.
- Items that are on hold for another patron will not renew.
- Most items can be renewed twice.
- Items cannot be renewed if your card is expired or if fines total $5 or more.
- If renewing overdue items from home, the overdue fines will be accessed at that time. Once it reaches $5.00, you will no longer be able to renew online, as the card is now blocked at $5.00
- To renew from home if your card is blocked, you can pay the fines from home, then continue with renewing any other items.
All Webster items can be returned at any Monroe County Library, and Webster accepts returns for all of the Monroe County libraries.
Webster Public Library also has a drive-up book drop located in the back of the building.
If any item is damaged or lost, you will be billed for the replacement cost plus a $5.00 processing fee.
If you find the lost item within 120 days and it is in good condition, you can return it with your receipt for a partial refund. The processing fee and fines are not refundable.
- Librarians will accept a replacement if it is purchased new and is the exact same item, i.e. same publisher, format.
- For AV materials it must match the original item, i.e., unabridged BOCD and widescreen DVD's are a couple of examples.
- The purchased replacement must be given to the Librarian in charge of that collection for approval before the cost can be removed from your record. There is a $5 processing fee on each item which you are liable for.
- If an item remains on your card, please call the library. We will check our shelves to see if it was missed at returns. If it is not found and if it is overdue, a claims return can be placed on the item.
- If it is still missing after three months, the computer will automatically charge your account for the replacement cost two weeks after the claims return has expired. Letters are not sent when the item “goes lost” on your record.
- Please check your record to avoid submission to UMS collection agency as all accounts over $35 are automatically sent.
Any card that is lost or stolen must be reported immediately. Patrons are responsible for all materials charged to their card.
- Patrons are responsible for their own accounts. Status can be checked at any time online, in person, or by phone.
- After 3 weeks, if an item is not returned, you will receive a courtesy email, phone call, or notice.
- After 6 weeks, the item is considered lost and the replacement charge is automatically put on your account.
- After 8 weeks, if your account is $35 or more, it is submitted to our collection agency and a $20 agency fee is automatically charged to your account.
Reference staff is happy to place a hold for you either in person or over the phone. You can also place a hold from home using our online catalog.
- The hold fee is .50 per item, payable upon pickup.
- Webster patrons receive top priority for Webster items, i.e. if we own it you will receive it before it is sent to another library to fill their hold.
- Some libraries in the Monroe County Library System do not share their "New" items. Items that that have "New" in the location field in our online catalog cannot be sent to a different library for pick up.
- The maximum number of holds per card is 25.
- Once an item comes in, it will be held for 7 days. The hold fee is charged if item is not picked up.
- If an item shows “in transit” in our online catalog, it is currently being shipped from one library to another.
- Interlibrary loans (items requested from outside the Monroe County Library System) are available by calling the reference desk. There is a $5 nonrefundable fee for this service.
We will notify you when an item you have placed on hold has come in and of any overdue items on your account.
Courtesy reminders are sent 3 days before item is due.