How do I get a library card?
Monroe County residents are eligible for a library card. If you live out of the county, but own property in Monroe County, you are eligible for a card upon presentation of a current Monroe County property tax bill. All other out of county residents may obtain a card at a cost of $25.00 per year. Print the Application for Non-Resident Library Card and submit it to any of the 20 independent member libraries.
Kids (Birth – Grade 5): The parent or legal guardian must fill out a short application available at the circulation desk. Both the child and parent or legal guardian must be present.
Teens (Grade 6 – 12): Present a school photo ID and proof of address, e.g., school schedule or report card. You may also come in with a parent or legal guardian with their license as proof of address.
Library cards are valid for one full calendar year. Accounts may be renewed upon payment of fines and when account information has been verified. Verification of address must be present if there has been a change of address.
What are the borrower guidelines?
Patrons of the Webster Public Library adhere to Webster Public Library policies.
- Be financially responsible for material borrowed with the library card.
- Inform the library of residence or email address changes.
- Monitor the material selected and checked out on responsible library card accounts.
- Pay all fines/charges for the late return, loss of, or damage to all material borrowed on the library card.
- Report a lost/stolen card immediately; the patron is solely responsible for lost/stolen items on the library card account until it has been reported lost/stolen.
- Hold parent/guardian solely responsible for ensuring material borrowed by their child/ward is appropriate. The library's collection serves a variety of customers and therefore contains material some feel is inappropriate.
- Hold parent/guardian of a minor (those age 17 and under) responsible for fines/charges for late return of or damage to material borrowed with this card.
How many items can I check out?
There is no limit on the number of library materials you can check out, with the exception of:
- Video Games: 5 per card
- Express Books: 2 per card
- Quick Flicks: 2 per card
How much are the overdue fines?
Library materials are generally charged $0.50 per day overdue.
You can manage your account online.
What is the loan period for borrowed items?
The loan period varies depending on which items you borrow.
- Books, Books on CD, Playaways, Music CDs, and CD-ROMs: 3 weeks
- TV Series: 2 weeks
- DVDs, Blu-ray, VHS, Video Games, and Express Books: 1 week
- Quick Flicks: 2 days
How do I renew my items?
ems can be renewed up to two times online, in person, or by phone. Call (585) 872-7075 and select option 4 to speak with a Webster Library staff member. You may also use the 24-hour automated phone line at (585) 428-8484.
- Most items are renewable, with the exception of “New” items including Express Books and Quick Flicks.
- Items cannot be renewed if you card is expired or if fines total $5 or more.
- If renewing overdue items from home, the overdue fines will be assessed at that time. Once it reaches $5.00, you will no longer be able to renew online, as the card is now delinquent.
- You can pay your fines online, and then continue to manage your account.
Where can I return my items?
All Webster items can be returned at any Monroe County Library, and Webster accepts returns for all of the Monroe County public libraries.
Webster Public Library also has a drive-up book drop available 24/7 located in the back of the building.
What happens if an item is lost or damaged?
If an item is lost or damaged, your account will be billed for the replacement cost. Please keep your receipt. If you find the lost item within 120 days and it is in good condition, you can return it with your receipt for a partial refund. Overdue fines accrued for the item are not refundable.
Would you prefer to replace the lost or damaged item?
The replacement item must be new, the same publisher and format. The purchased replacement must be presented to the circulation desk for approval before the cost can be removed from your account.
What happens if an item that I returned is still showing up on my account?
If an item remains on your card, please call the library. We will check our shelves to see if it was missed at returns. If it is not found and if it is overdue, a “Claims Returned” can be placed on the item.
If it is still missing after three months, the computer will automatically charge your account for the replacement cost two weeks after the Claims Return has expired. Letters are not sent when the item “goes lost” on your record.
Please check your record to avoid submission to UMS collection agency as all accounts over $35 are automatically reported.
Am I notified if I have an overdue item?
Patrons are responsible for their own accounts. Manage your account online, in person, or by phone.
As a courtesy, email notifications will be sent three days prior to the due date.
After 3 weeks, if an item is not returned, you will receive a courtesy email or phone call.
After 6 weeks, the item is considered lost and the replacement charge is automatically charged to your account.
After 8 weeks, if your account is $35 or more, it is sent to the collection agency and a $20 agency fee is automatically charged to your account.
How do I place a hold or request an item?
Place an item on hold that is currently checked out or unavailable at your branch online, in person, or by phone.
- A $0.50 hold fee per item is payable upon pickup.
- Email or phone notification will be sent when the item is available for pick up.
- Holds can picked up at the circulation desk and will be held for 7 days. The hold fee is charged to your account if the item is not picked up.
- Webster patrons receive top priority for Webster items, i.e., if we own it you will receive it before it is sent to another library to fill their hold.
- Some libraries in the Monroe County Library System do not share their “New” items. Items that have “New” in the location field in our online catalog cannot be sent to a different library for pick up.
- The maximum number of holds per card is 25.
- Interlibrary loans (items requested from outside the Monroe County Library System) are available by calling the reference desk. There is a $5 nonrefundable fee for this service.
How does email notification work?
The library automated system will notify you when an item you have placed on hold is available for pick up and of any overdue items on your account.
Courtesy reminders are sent 3 days prior to the due date.